Ensure you get all the answers that you need!
About the carers
- Do you interview your recruits and take up at least two written references before offering them work as a carer?
- Do all your carers undergo a criminal records check?
- Will my relative have a regular carer?
- What will happen if my relative’s regular carer is off sick?
- How many different carers are likely to visit my relative?
- What sort of training do the carers receive? Do they have an induction period? How often is their training updated?
- Will carers keep written records of the care that has been given? Can copies of the records be sent to me if I want them?
About your relative’s needs
- How will you match the most suitable carer to my relative’s needs?
- What happens if a carer and my relative are incompatible? Could a different carer be requested?
- What happens in the event of a medical emergency? Will they notify me of any problems?
About the agency
- Do you have a standard contract for work with private clients? Can we see a copy?
- What are your charges? Are there any minimum charges?
- What happens on bank holidays? Is there an additional charge at these times?
- How is payment required – by cheque, direct debit or some other way? How often is payment required? Monthly or weekly?
- Are there are any extra charges? (The prices quoted usually include National Insurance contributions, travel and any VAT payable)
- What insurance do you have to protect my relative, for example, in the case of damage to property, the carer making a mistake, or the carer having an accident in my relative’s home?
- How do you ensure quality of care is maintained? What are your quality assurance policies and procedures?
- Who should we contact if we have problems with a carer or the service provided?
- Is it possible to try you for a short trial period initially, to see how it works out?
Does the agency have procedures in place to:
- protect my relative from accidents, neglect or self-harm?
- cover the way carers handle my relative’s money if the carer shops or pays bills?
- instruct carers not to borrow or lend money, not to accept gifts and not to take children or pets into my relative’s house without permission?